[ the gwg | fanfics | Paper Words ]

Paper Words
Dubird

"So what you got there?" asked Duo. He was making his weekly raid of Heero's fridge and noticed his friend carefully holding a paper note in his hands. Paper letters were a rare occurrence now, and Duo couldn't help but be curious.

Heero looked up, slightly startled. "What?" he asked, trying to slip the note under the table.

"The..note..you..have..in..your..hands," Duo replied with a grin.

"Oh, that. It's nothing." Heero shrugged. "Just a letter."

"Yeah? A letter from who?" Duo couldn't resist a bit of teasing. Anything that knocked a bit of emotion from Heero Yuy was worth investigating in his book.

"It's just a letter from Relena. She says hi," Heero responded.

"OOOhho! I see!" Duo said with a knowing grin spreading across his face. "This wouldn't have anything to do with that letter I saw you mailing last week, now would it?"

Heero glared at him, though the faint blush rising in his cheeks somewhat spoiled the effect. Duo just laughed. "So when are you going to do something about her?" he asked.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know, Relena! If you don't ask her out, I'm going to ask her for you."

"You wouldn't dare," Heero replied with a glare. Duo only snickered, having grown used to that expression a long time ago. Heero paused at that and gave Duo a long look. "You really would, wouldn't you?" he asked after a moment.

"Well, duh!" Duo grinned. "Someone has to. After all, you do care for her, even if you don't want to admit it. And she does care for you." He sighed softly. "And trust me. You'll never forgive yourself if you let her get away. Besides, how many people do you know that still write letters these days?" Duo patted him on the shoulder and sauntered out, whistling softly under his breath.

Heero sat for a moment in thought, then, as if acting on impulse, he took out her letter and read through it again:

'Dear Heero,

'I got your last letter. I think it would be a wonderful idea for you and Duo to team up. Although, knowing him, he'll want to give your shuttle a complete overhaul!

'I saw Quatre the other day and he says Duo is feeling better. I'm glad about that. I know you were worried about him, as I was, and I think your decision to stay there is a good one. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

'I'm sorry I have to cut this short, but I don't have any more time this afternoon and I want to make sure this gets out on the next shuttle. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Yours truly,
Relena'

Heero carefully folded it up and held it for a moment. He had a brief thought of throwing it in the compacter. After all, it was only words on a paper. Yet he found himself carefully placing it in the box with the others. He couldn't explain it, but there was something comforting about having her words on paper he could hold. It made no sense, but he had kept every letter she sent. He had even started writing her the same way. He smiled to himself. Deep down, he rather hoped she felt the same way about his letters. Something said she did.