[ the gwg | fanfics | Old Love Lost, New Love Found ]

Old Love Lost, New Love Found
Songbreeze

A/N: Noin's birthday is on September 9th, or so we think. In this fic Noin is 25; Zechs is 29; Sally and Hide are 21; Trowa is 20; Duo, Wufei, Dorothy, and Quatre are all 19. And many thanks to my wonderful muse, Aisha!!!!

"..." = Speech '...' = Thought /\/\ = Scene change/ flash back

-------------------------------

September 9th, 198 AC.

It was eleven o'clock in the morning when a 25 year-old blue haired beauty received the mysterious message:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noin,

Happy Birthday! Meet me outside the office at 11:30.

-??????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Who sent this?' Noin asked herself. 'Hmm ... I don't think it's one of the girls. I haven't heard from them for awhile. Um ... I think it would have to be either Quatre or Zechs. Although I hope it's Zechs...' Looking at the clock on her beige office wall, Noin realized that she had only five minutes to meet her mystery date.

-------------------------------

Quatre Raberbra Winner brushed his pale blonde hair out of his sea green eyes as he stared at his watch for the tenth time in as many minutes. 'Come on Noin. I know you got it.' He thought as he leaned against the drab stone building which was home to the Preventors. Glancing at the heavy gray door, he saw the familiar flash of blue hair as it ran out of the building. "Hey! Noin!" Quatre called out as he made his way over to the older woman. Sweeping her up into a hug, he whispered, "Happy Birthday," in her ear.

"Hi Quatre. What are you doing here?" She asked the former Gundam Pilot.

"What am I doing here? Didn't you get my note? I am going to take you out for lunch. After all, it is your birthday." He said smiling.

Noin smiled. She was glad that Quatre had thought of her, but she was disappointed that he hadn't been Zechs.

Zechs. She had been in love with the talented pilot ever since they were recruits for OZ. Pushing her feelings for the long-haired blonde aside, Noin accepted the arm Quatre offered as he led her out to his car.

-------------------------------

The ride to the restaurant was quiet. Both were lost in their own thought. Every so often, Noin would catch Quatre looking at her, when he should have been looking at the road. Noin smiled, every time she had caught him, he would blush a deep red that could put a tomato to shame.

After fifteen minutes, Quatre pulled in to Chez Louis, a classy little French cafe in the heart of the business district. Running to Noin's door, Quatre pulled it open and offered his had to Noin.

As they entered the restaurant, the server asked in a strong French accent, "Pardon moi, do you have ze reservation?"

"Yes, two under Winner." Replied Quatre.

"Ahh! Follow me." Weaving between tables, the waiter stopped in front of a small room near the back of the restaurant. "I believe zis is ze room you reserved?"

"Yes it is. Merci." Stepping into the room after Noin, he turned and asked her, "I hope this is suitable?"

"Yeah...this is great, just wonderful. Thank you Quatre" Noin replied astonished at Quatre's thoughtfulness.

After a short lunch of French delicacies Quatre drove back to her apartment. Walking her up to her front door, he took her hand and kissed the back of it lightly. "Thank you for the allowing me to accompany you for lunch today."

Flustered, Noin said, "Oh...no, thank you! Thank you for talking me out today. I had a wonderful time. Would you like to come in for tea?"

Quatre, delighted by the request, replied, "Yes, thank you! I would love to."

Unlocking her door, Noin stepped into her apartment and was met by, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Whirling around and jabbing her finger in Quatre's chest she said, "You little weasel! You had this all planned didn't you?!"

With a sheepish look on his face, Quatre rubbed the back of his neck as he confirmed her suspicions.

Noin was tackled form behind as Zechs gave her a bear hug. Seeing the intimate moment, Sally called Quatre over to help her with the refreshments.

Zechs looked deep into Noin's blue eyes and whispered, "Noin, can I talk to you in privet for a moment?"

"Sure, we can talk in my bedroom." Noin said as she disentangled her self from Zechs' arms. Taking his hand, she led him down the hall to her right and into the first door on the right.

-------------------------------

Pacing slightly, Zechs sighed. Stopping, Zechs turned to Noin. "Noin," he murmured as he took her hands. "I want you to know that I have always respected you and whatever you say after this will not change that. I have always loved you. I think I first fell for you after your battle with Wufei. It was then that I realized how much I loved you and how much it hurt to think that you would have died. What I and trying to say, is Lucrezia Noin, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Oh Zechs. I... I don't know what to say..." Noin said as tears slipped down her face.

"Then say yes." Said Zechs as he looked deep into her eyes.

"Yes... Yes, I'll marry you."

Suddenly, a knock was heard at the door and Quatre poked his head in. "Umm, Noin? Could I speak to you for a moment?"

Noin smiled warmly, "Sure Quatre, come on in."

"I'll just go outside and get something to eat." Zechs announced.

"Sure." Replied Noin.

"Noin, forgive me, but this is the first time I have ever done anything like this... I don't know how to say this... but I... Noin, I love you." Quatre said nervously.

"Oh Quatre. I'm sorry. I... I... Zechs and I are engaged."

"Oh... sorry..." Quatre said. He felt as if Noin had just ripped his heart from his chest and stomped on it with her boot heal. "I have to go. Happy Birthday Noin."

"Quatre! Please, wait!" Noin pleaded, but it was too late. He had already left.

Noin jumped as someone grabbed her from behind. Turning around she came face to face with Zechs.

"What was that all about?" He asked.

"Oh. It was nothing." She replied.

"Come on, Noin. Let's tell everyone our news."

She smiled, albeit, the smile was brief, "Sure." She said and let Zechs guide her into the sitting room where most of the guests were.

-------------------------------

'Stupid, stupid, stupid!' Quatre said to himself as he hit his head on the steering wheel of his metallic blue convertible. Pulling himself together, Quatre turned the ignition and drove out of the complex's garage.

The ride to his house was quiet, with the exception of the soft strands of Vivaldi's 'Spring' floating throughout the car.

It was well past midnight when a bleary eyed Quatre pulled into his estate. Yawning softly he trudged up the stairs and opened the door. Making his was to his bedroom, he fell asleep the moment his head touched the pillow.

-------------------------------

The guests at Noin's Birthday Party drew in a collective gasp at the news. Noin and Zechs were going to get married! Suddenly a babble broke out. There were cries of "Congratulations" and "It's about time!" Noin and Zechs were hugged and glomped by the guests, including Duo, Hilde, Sally and Relena. Heero, Trowa and Wufie were more reserved, they shook hands with the couple and wished them well.

Hours later and half past one, the last guest finally left. Noin was in a whirlwind of emotion. First Zechs had proposed to her, then Quatre confessed his love for her. Noin smiled as she thought of the younger blonde. He was so sweet and innocent. But then again, she had been in love with Zechs for as long as she had known him. Sighing heavily, she got ready for bed and went to sleep.

-------------------------------

Noin was thrilled. It was one month ago, in her birthday, that Zechs had proposed to her. Tonight was their one-month anniversary. He was going to take her out for dinner. Slipping into her apartment, she went into her bedroom and got ready. She had decided to wear her favorite blue dress. With the dress, she wore black pumps, opera gloves and very little make up.

Noin walked the few blocks to Zechs' apartment. Opening the door, she climbed into the elevator and hit the button for the 6th floor. His apartment was number 66 on the 6th floor. Opening her purse, she fished out her keys.

She jumped as a loud clap of thunder broke the silence of the hall. 'Damn.' She thought bitterly, 'Now it's going to rain. Perfect.' Opening the door she was met by no one. Sighing, she made her way towards his bedroom. Opening the door, she could not believe the sight before her eyes. Zechs was there alright. But he wasn't alone. There, underneath him was a very nude Dorothy. Nearly screaming in shock. Noin said through tears, "How could you! You... you... fucking bastard!!" Screaming in indignation, Noin wrenched the ring from her finger and threw it at Zechs. Before Zechs and Dorothy could recover from shock, Noin stormed out and ran blindly into the pouring rain.

Noin didn't know how long she ran. Looking up she didn't recognize where she was at first. Then she saw Quatre's house. Running up towards the house, she paused before knocking, 'Should I? Wouldn't he be mad? What if he hates me?'

Turning around she started down the stairs, when she heard, "Noin? Is that you?"

Looking behind her shoulder, she saw Quatre with a concerned look on his face. "Noin, what happened?" He asked as he rushed out to her and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I-was-going-over-to-Zechs'-and-I-saw-him-having-sex-with-Dorothy." She said in one breath.

"Whoa, slow down Noin. Take a deep breath and tell me what happened." Quatre asked as he guided her towards the house. "Come on, we've got to get you out of those clothes before you catch cold."

Quatre led her into the foyer and left to get some towels and clothes. When he returned he had three large fluffy white cotton towels and a pair of pyjamas. Taking her to the nearest bathroom, he handed her the fluffy bundle and left her alone.

Fifteen minutes later, Noin found Quatre in his sitting room with a tray of tea and biscuits. Handing her a cup, he motioned for her to sit down. "So, tell me what happened."

Playing with the hem of her shirt, she began, "Well, today was our -Zechs' and my- one-month anniversary. We were going to go out for dinner. I got ready and went over to his apartment. When I got there, no one was in the living room, so I went into the bedroom and... and... He was there with *her*." Tears began to leak out of the corners of Noin's eyes.

"Who's her?" Quatre asked as he went to hold her.

After Noin relaxed and settled herself down against his chest and replied, "Dorothy."

"Oh... Noin?"

"Hmm?"

"You're welcome to stay here as long as you want to."

"Thank you."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

It took Noin, with the help of Quatre, three months to persuade Zechs to leave her alone and that she didn't love him anymore. True, there would always be a special place in her heart for the longhaired blonde. But she realized that she had loved Quatre, ever since he took her in.

Shifting her gaze, she turned and met his. He smiled and reached for her hand, it now had another engagement ring on it. The ring had a platinum setting with a five-carat diamond surrounded by sapphires.

Leaning back into Quatre's arms, Noin, for the first time in along time felt safe and loved.